Teacher Appreciation Week is May 8-12, and Holmes Community College’s administrative leaders plan to celebrate the faculty in various ways. On the Holmes Grenada Campus, there will be a Teacher Appreciation breakfast from 8-9:45 a.m. on May 1 in Room 122. It is come and go for the teachers to let them know how valued they are.
“The faculty are the lifeblood of our institution,” said Grenada Campus Vice President Dr. Michelle Burney. “They never stop giving of themselves to pour into our students. They sacrifice time away from their personal lives to make sure Holmes delivers quality instruction and that our students leave us better than they arrived. Without our faculty, we would not exist.”
On the Goodman Campus, the academic faculty are being treated to a “Lunch and Learn” on May 1.
“A great teacher can transform someone’s life,” said Goodman Campus Academic Coordinator Wendy Grace. “Our faculty do just that in that they have the patience and understanding to help the students at Holmes to be able to move on to the next chapter of their life. It amazes me seeing how hard our instructors work and go above and beyond what is asked of them. I am so grateful for the impact that they have on our students. William Arthur Ward wrote, ‘The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.’ We have great teachers and they inspire not only their students but they inspire me every day.”
On the Holmes Ridgeland Campus, the Academic Office will give the teachers a little happy, placing it in their on-campus mailbox.
“Because faculty care, they endure,” said Dean of Academic Programs Dr. Tonya Lawrence. “Every day in class doesn’t always go exactly as planned but when it does and they brag about an accomplishment of a student or get excited about the success of something new they tried, and that attitude becomes contagious! Day-to-day, I wait to hear them share those wonderful moments with me or a colleague. Faculty understand Ecclesiastes 7:8, ‘Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.’ To me, that explains what a teacher sees each semester when they take their students and guide them through their course with patience (which wears thin at times) and love. I am so grateful that I get to see or hear about some of their moments. Holmes CC is better because of the faculty who care deeply and live their work day with the #noplacelikeHolmes approach. I also believe there’s #nofacultylikeHolmesfaculty!”
“I believe it is an understatement to say without teachers we would not have a school,” Wood said. “Teachers help our students learn what they must do to improve their entire way of life and to produce generations of educated children. Finally, I feel that besides their parents, teachers have the biggest impact on our students’ lives.”
Additionally, Ridgeland Campus Vice President Dr. Don Burnham shared his thoughts about Holmes’ instructors.
“As Teacher Appreciation Week approaches, I want to take this opportunity to express my appreciation to the Holmes faculty for the outstanding work they do in preparing our students for the next step on their life journey,” Dr. Burnham said. “They not only teach their subject matter but they counsel, nurture and encourage our students to help them become successful in life.”
Several businesses nationwide are offering Teacher Appreciation Week deals that faculty members can take advantage of, as well. Some of those deals are listed below.
- 1800Flowers: Save up to $15 on select teacher appreciation gifts and flowers. See more 1800Flowers deals.
- Barnes & Noble: Full-time faculty members can save up to 20 percent off on purchases made for classroom use. Moreover, educators can enjoy 25 percent off on Educator Appreciation Days. See more at Barnes & Noble deals.
- Blue Harbor Resort: Get 20 percent off select room types using the code TEACHER from May 1-25, 2023.
- Dell: Enjoy an extra 10 percent discount on select PCs and electronics. See moreDell deals and coupons.
- L.L. Bean: Save 10 percent on select orders for teachers with code. To get the promo code, you must verify your eligibility via SheerID. See more L.L. Bean offers.
- Learning A-Z:Use the code TEACHER to get $10 off on your order. See more Learning A-Z deals.
- Office Depot:Star Teachers members get 10 percent back in rewards on ink, toner, and paper, 1 percent back in rewards on almost everything, and 15 percent off from Design, Print, & Ship Depot. See more Office Depot deals.
- Personalization Mall: Get up to 30 percent off teachers’ gifts. See more Personalization Mall deals.
- Schaumburg Boomers: Educators get up to six free tickets when they use the promo code TEACHER.
- SeaWorld Orlando: Active and certified K-12 Florida grade school educators can get a free SeaWorld Florida Teacher Card that provides free admission until Sept. 7, 2023. This awesome deal is valid after verifying your eligibility with ID.me. See more SeaWorld Orlando deals.
- Society6: Get up to 30 percent off teachers’ appreciation day gifts, including mugs, art prints, tote bags, and more. See more Society6 deals.
- Under Armour: By verifying through ID.me, teachers and educators can get 20 percent off on all purchases—limited time offer—from Under Armour. See more Under Armour deals and coupons.
- WonderWork: WonderWork offers free admission for teachers from May 1 to May 31, 2023. To get the discount code, you must complete the registration form from its website. See more WonderWork deals.