This year, Law Enforcement Appreciation Week is Sunday, May 14 – Saturday, May 20. Holmes Community College is proud of our law enforcement presence, and wants to commend our officers for all they do to keep our campus safe!
In 1962, President Kennedy proclaimed May 15 as National Peace Officers Memorial Day and the calendar week in which May 15 falls, as National Police Week. The week pays special recognition to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others.
There are a number of ways citizens can participate in Law Enforcement Appreciation Week, including some suggestions from the Madison County Business League and Foundation:
- Paint the County Blue – Display blue ribbons on your home, school, church or place of business, or wear a blue lapel ribbon throughout the week.
- Back the Blue – Wear blue to school, church or business and offer discounts/gift certificates to law enforcement officers .
- Day of Prayer – Recognize our law enforcement community during church services and pray for their safety.
- Thank an Officer – Thank officers for their service and celebrate and remember fallen officers by releasing balloons and holding candlelight vigils.
- Celebrate the Blue – Show your appreciation of officers by hosting a luncheon, etc., or offering other treats.
- Social Media – Be sure to share your law enforcement appreciation with posts, videos and photos on social media with #backtheblue.